.................... moves to amend H.F. No. 2294, the delete everything amendment
(H2294DE2), as follows:
Page 1, after line 4, insert:
"Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 256B.0625, subdivision 9, is amended to
Subd. 9. Dental services.
(a) Medical assistance covers dental services.
(b) Medical assistance dental coverage for nonpregnant adults is limited to the
(1) comprehensive exams, limited to once every five years;
(2) periodic exams, limited to one per year;
(3) limited exams;
(4) bitewing x-rays, limited to one per year;
(5) periapical x-rays;
(6) panoramic x-rays, limited to one every five years except (1) when medically
necessary for the diagnosis and follow-up of oral and maxillofacial pathology and trauma
or (2) once every two years for patients who cannot cooperate for intraoral film due to
a developmental disability or medical condition that does not allow for intraoral film
(7) prophylaxis, limited to one per year;
(8) application of fluoride varnish, limited to one per year;
(9) posterior fillings, all at the amalgam rate;
(10) anterior fillings;
(11) endodontics, limited to root canals on the anterior and premolars only;
(12) removable prostheses, each dental arch limited to one every six years;
(13) oral surgery, limited to extractions, biopsies, and incision and drainage of
(14) palliative treatment and sedative fillings for relief of pain; and
(15) full-mouth debridement, limited to one every five years.
(c) In addition to the services specified in paragraph (b), medical assistance
covers the following services for adults, if provided in an outpatient hospital setting or
freestanding ambulatory surgical center as part of outpatient dental surgery:
(1) periodontics, limited to periodontal scaling and root planing once every two
(2) general anesthesia; and
(3) full-mouth survey once every five years.
(d) Medical assistance covers medically necessary dental services for children and
pregnant women. The following guidelines apply:
(1) posterior fillings are paid at the amalgam rate;
(2) application of sealants are covered once every five years per permanent molar for
(3) application of fluoride varnish is covered once every six months; and
(4) orthodontia is eligible for coverage for children only.
2.16(e) In addition to the services specified in paragraphs (b) and (c), medical assistance
2.17covers the following services for developmentally disabled adults:
2.18(1) behavioral management when additional staff time is required to accommodate
2.19behavioral challenges and sedation is not used; and
2.20(2) oral or IV conscious sedation, if the covered dental service cannot be performed
2.21safely without it or would otherwise require the service to be performed under general
2.22anesthesia in a hospital or surgical center.
Renumber the sections in sequence and correct the internal references
Amend the title accordingly