STATE OF MINNESOTA SIXTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
HEALTH FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE
Representative Tina Liebling, Chair of the Division, called the virtual Health Finance and Policy Committee meeting to order at 1:00 P.M. on January 25, 2021 pursuant to House rule 10.01. The meeting is being broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
LIEBLING, Tina, Chair
HUOT, John, Vice Chair
SCHOMACKER, Joe, Minority Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Huot moved that the minutes of January 20, 2021 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Elisabeth Klarqvist, House Research Staff and Doug Berg, House Fiscal Staff presented an overview of the Emergency Medical Services Advisory Board.
Tony Spector, Executive Director, Minnesota Emergency Services Regulator Board, presented an overview of Minnesota’s emergency services.
Diogo Reis, Rates and Policy Manager, Health Care Administration, MN Department of Human Services, gave an overview of emergency medical spending in public programs.
Testifying on Minnesota’s emergency medical services:
1) Kevin Miller, (Acting) Chair, Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board
2) Buck McAlpin, MN Ambulance Association
3) Dr. Bjorn Peterson, President, Minnesota Chapter of National Association of Emergency Medical Services Physicians
4) Martin Scheerer, Senior Director/Chief, Hennepin EMS
5) Brian Edwards, Emergency Medical Services Chief, Northfield Hospital & Clinics
6) Joshua M. Howell, Vice President, Strategy & Business Optimization, Life Link III
7) Dr. John Pate, Board Member, Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board
8) Jill Rohret. Executive Director, Metropolitan Emergency Services Board
9) Mark Jones, Executive Director, Minnesota Rural Health Association
10) Randall Fischer, President/CEO, Stevens County Ambulance
11) BJ Jungmann, Legislative Committee Chair, Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association
12) Allen Lewis, Fire Chief, City of Virginia
13) Mike Dobesh, Fire Chief, Richfield Fire Department
14) John Swenson, Public Safety Director, Lino Lakes Public Safety Department
Vice Chair Huot and Representative Backer spoke on the importance of improving response times and ensuring there are steps taken to recruit and retain EMS staff throughout the state.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:26 P.M.
Representative Tina Liebling, Chair
Krysta Niedernhöfer, Committee Legislative Assistant