STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
JUDICIARY FINANCE AND CIVIL LAW MINUTES
Representative Jamie Becker-Finn, Chair of the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law, called the virtual meeting to order at 8:30 AM on February 23, 2021 pursuant to House rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
Becker-Finn, Jamie, Chair
Moller, Kelly, Vice Chair
Scott, Peggy, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Vice Chair Moller moved that the minutes of February 18, 2021, be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Her moved that HF 833 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
Representative Her presented HF 833, a bill for an act relating to judiciary; modifying when a court may hear a petition for postconviction relief; amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 590.01, subdivision 4.
Testifying on HF 833:
• Nekessa Opoti, Co-Founder, Black Immigrant Collective
• Minh Lam, public testimony
• Damu Vang, public testimony
• Cathryn Middlebrook, Chief Appellate, Office of the State Public Defender
• Jorge Saavedra, Assistant Attorney, Ramsey County Attorney’s Office
• Linus Chan, Associate Professor of Clinical Law, University of Minnesota Law School and Director, Detainee Rights Clinic
Representative Her renewed the motion that HF 833 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
Representative Vang moved that HF 717 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
Representative Vang presented HF 717, a bill for an act ¬¬¬¬¬relating to judiciary; extending the civil statute of limitations for certain actions by peace officers; amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, sections 541.073, subdivision 2; 573.02, subdivision 1.
Testifying on HF 717:
• Toshria Garraway, Founder, Families Supporting Families Against Police Violence
• Johnathon McClellan, Founder, Minnesota Justice Coalition
• Bill Hutton, Executive Director, Minnesota Sheriffs Association
Chair Becker-Finn renewed the motion that HF 717 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
Representative Long moved that HF 992 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
Representative Long presented HF 992, a bill for an act relating to judiciary; establishing requirements related to the use of jailhouse witnesses in criminal prosecutions; requiring reports; requiring notification to victims; classifying data; proposing coding for new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapters 13; 634.
Testifying on HF 992:
• Sara Jones, Executive Director, Great North Innocence Project
Representative Long renewed the motion that HF 992 be recommended to be laid over for possible inclusion in a future omnibus bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:01 AM.
Representative Jamie Becker-Finn, Chair
Anna Borgerding, Committee Legislative Assistant