STATE OF MINNESOTA SIXTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
CLIMATE AND ENERGY FINANCE AND POLICY MINUTES
Representative Larry Kraft, Vice-Chair of the Committee on Climate and Energy Finance and Policy, called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM on March 1, 2023 in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
ACOMB, Patty, Chair
KRAFT, Larry, Vice Chair
SWEDZINSKI, Chris, Republican Lead
Representative Davis moved that the minutes from February 28, 2023 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 2011 (Lislegard); Existing high-voltage direct current transmission line from North Dakota to Minnesota upgrade funding provided, and money appropriated.
Vice-Chair Kraft moved that HF 2011 be laid over.
Representative Lislegard presented HF 2011.
• Julie Pierce, Vice President of Strategy and Planning, Minnesota Power/ALLETE
• Kevin Pranis, Marketing Manager, Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA) Minnesota and North Dakota
• Annie Harala, Commissioner, St. Louis County
Vice-Chair Kraft renewed the motion that HF 2011 be laid over. The bill was laid over.
HF 2009 (Lislegard); Grant funding provided to promote mine vehicle electrification pilot program, and money appropriated.
Vice-Chair Kraft moved that HF 2009 be laid over.
Representative Lislegard presented HF 2009.
• David Chura, Manager of Emerging Initiatives, Minnesota Power/ALLETE
• Edward Faulk, Sales and Business Development Manager, Komatsu Mining Corporation
• Kristen Vake, Executive Director, Iron Mining Association of Minnesota
• John Arbogast, District 11 Staff Representative, United Steelworkers
Vice-Chair Kraft renewed the motion that HF 2009 be laid over. The bill was laid over.
Chair Acomb assumed the gavel at 4:05 PM.
HF 2032 (Smith); Clean energy resource teams funding provided, and money appropriated.
Chair Acomb moved that HF 2032 be laid over.
Representative Smith presented HF 2032.
• Lissa Pawlisch, Director of Clean Energy Resource Teams (CERT), University of Minnesota Extension
• Diana McKeown, Metropolitan CERT Director, Great Plains Institute
• Annette Brechon Kuyper, Community Relations & Beneficial Electrification Director, Wright-Hennepin Cooperative Electric Association
Chair Acomb renewed the motion that HF 2032 be laid over. The bill was laid over.
A presentation on the FORTIFIED Program from the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) was provided.
• Fred Malik, Managing Director, IBHS
• Michael Newman, General Counsel, IBHS
• Peter Brickewedde, Assistant Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Commerce
Vice-Chair Kraft assumed the gavel at 4:31 PM.
HF 1990 (Acomb); Solar for schools program technical changes made.
Chair Acomb moved that HF 1990 be re-referred to the General Register.
Chair Acomb presented HF 1990.
Chair Acomb renewed the motion that HF 1990 be re-referred to the General Register. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 1991 (Acomb); Solar for schools program funding provided, and money appropriated.
Chair Acomb moved that HF 1991 be re-referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Chair Acomb presented HF 1991.
Chair Acomb renewed the motion that HF 1991 be re-referred to the Committee on Ways and Means. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Garofalo distributed an article acknowledging an attack on a California power station on April 16, 2013.
Chair Acomb assumed the gavel at 4:46 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:48 PM.
Representative Patty Acomb, Chair
Chelsea Ray, Committee Legislative Assistant