STATE OF MINNESOTA TWENTIETH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
CLIMATE AND ENERGY FINANCE AND POLICY MINUTES
Representative Patty Acomb, Chair of the Committee on Climate and Energy Finance and Policy, called the meeting to order at 3:01 PM on March 15, 2023 in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
ACOMB, Patty, Chair
KRAFT, Larry, Vice Chair
SWEDZINSKI, Chris, Republican Lead
Representative Kraft moved that the minutes from March 14, 2023 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 2627 (Carroll); Solar on closed landfills funding provided, feasibility analysis required, and money appropriated.
Representative Carroll moved that HF 2627 be re-referred to the Committee on Capital Investment.
Representative Carroll presented HF 2627.
• Logan O’Grady, Executive Director, Minnesota Solar Energy Industries Association (MnSEIA)
Representative Carroll renewed the motion that HF 2627 be re-referred to the Committee on Capital Investment. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 2524 (Kraft); Minnesota Energy Alley funding provided, and money appropriated.
Representative Kraft moved that HF 2524 be be laid over.
Representative Kraft moved the A1 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED; THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Kraft presented HF 2524 as amended.
• Gregg Mast, Executive Director, Clean Energy Economy Minnesota (CEEM)
• Nina Axelson, Founder, Grid Catalyst
Representative Kraft renewed the motion that HF 2524 be laid over. The bill was laid over.
HF 2269 (Kraft); Owners of certain buildings required to enter energy use data into benchmarking tool, public disclosure of energy use data required, grants provided, and money appropriated.
Representative Kraft moved that HF 2269 be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Representative Kraft moved the DE1 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED; THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Kraft presented HF 2269 as amended.
• Russ Stark, Chief Resilience Officer, City of St. Paul
• Max Currie, President & Chief Engineer, Suntide Commercial Realty
• Marcy Conrad Nutt, Architect, American Institute of Architects (AIA) Minnesota
• Mike Bull, Senior Policy Advisor, Minnesota Power/ALLETE
Representative Kraft renewed the motion that HF 2269 as amended be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Vice-Chair Kraft assumed the gavel at 3:56 PM.
HF 2432 (Acomb); Maximum capacity of community solar gardens increased, location restriction removed, and new type of solar garden authorized.
Chair Acomb moved that HF 2432 be laid over.
Chair Acomb presented HF 2432.
• Whitney Terrill, Community Solar Subscriber, Hopkins
• Natividad Seefeld, President of Park Plaza Cooperative, Fridley
• Winton Boyd, Property Owner, Minneapolis
• Larry Weiss, Community Solar Subscriber, Minneapolis
• Timothy Denherder-Thomas, General Manager, Cooperative Energy Futures
• Kevin Cray, Senior Regional Director, Coalition for Community Solar Access (CCSA)
• Reed Richerson, Chief Operating Officer, US Solar
• Logan O’Grady, Executive Director, MnSEIA
• Rick Evans, Director of Regional Governmental Affairs, Xcel Energy
Representative Swedzinski moved the A1 Amendment. THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL; THE AMENDMENT WAS NOT ADOPTED.
Chair Acomb renewed the motion that HF 2432 be laid over. The bill was laid over.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:12 PM.
Representative Patty Acomb, Chair
Chelsea Ray, Committee Legislative Assistant