STATE OF MINNESOTA FIRST MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
CHILDREN AND FAMILIES FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE AND JUDICIARY FINANCE AND CIVIL LAW COMMITTEE JOINT HEARING MINUTES
Representative Jamie Becker-Finn, Chair of the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law, called the joint meeting of the Judiciary Finance and Civil Law Committee and the Children and Families Finance and Policy Committee to order at 8:30 AM on February 14, 2023 in Room 120 of the Capitol Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
BECKER-FINN, Jamie, Chair
PINTO, Dave, Chair
FRAZIER, Cedrick, Vice Chair
KEELER, Heather, Vice Chair
DANIELS, Brian, Minority Lead
SCOTT, Peggy, Minority Lead
PÉREZ-VEGA, Maria Isa
A quorum was present.
HF 1071 (Keeler) Minnesota Indian Family Preservation Act changes made.
Vice Chair Keeler, Representative Kozlowski, and Chair Becker-Finn provided an informational presentation on HF 1071.
Testifying on HF 1071:
• Faron Jackson, Chairman, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
• Kevin R. Dupuis Sr., Chairman, Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
• Melanie Benjamin, Chief Executive, Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
• Robin Larson, President, Lower Sioux Indian Community
• Shelley Buck, Vice President, Prairie Island Indian Community Tribal Council
• Rebecca McConkey-Greene, Associate Judge, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
• Opichi Petite, youth and member, Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
• Patricia Staine, Social Work Professional
• Bobbi Jo Marjorie Potter, Manager, Ramsey County Social Services Department Indian Child Welfare Program
• Gertrude Buckanaga, Executive Director, Upper Midwest American Indian Center
• Larissa Marie Littlewolf, Associate Director of Tribal Training and Certification
• Amelia Carol LeGarde, Social Work Professional
• Jill Esch, Ombudsperson, Office of Ombudsperson for American Indian Families
• Tonya Long, Vice Chair, American Indian Community-Specific Board, Omaha Tribe of Nebraska
• Delores Gabbard, Foster Parent and Indian Education Liaison, Moorhead Indian Education Program
• Curtis Jackson, Alcohol and Drug Counselor, Ahnji-Be-Mah-Diz Recovery Center, and Member, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
• Deanna Drift, Director of Tribal Projects, FamilyWise Service; Member, Bois Forte Band of Chippewa
• Lynn Brave Heart, M.S.W., State Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Division Program Manager, Minnesota Guardian Ad Litem Board
• Emelie Esther Rivera, Guardian Ad Litem Board
• Laurie York, Indian Child Welfare Advisory Council, White Earth Nation
• Mika Verit, M.S.W., Social Work Professional
The meeting was adjourned at 10:13 AM.
Representative Dave Pinto, Chair
Zehra Khan, Committee Legislative Assistant