STATE OF MINNESOTA TWENTY-FOURTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
HEALTH FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE
Representative Liebling, Chair of the Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:32 A.M. on March 21, 2023 in Room 5 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
LIEBLING, Tina, Chair
BIERMAN, Robert, Vice-Chair
SCHOMACKER, Joe, Minority Lead
HER, Kaohly Vang
NEU BRINDLEY, Anne
A quorum was present.
HF346 (Reyer) Mental health service rate increase bridge established.
Representative Reyer moved that HF346 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Health Finance and Policy Committee bill.
Representative Reyer moved the H0346A1 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED AND THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Reyer presented her bill as amended.
1. Julie Hanenburg, Executive Director, Lighthouse Child & Family Services
Representative Quam moved the H0346A2 Amendment. THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL AND THE AMENDMENT WAS NOT ADOPTED.
Chair Liebling laid over HF346, as amended, for possible inclusion in the Committee bill.
HF402 (Bierman) FIRST ENGROSSMENT Health care entity transaction requirements established, expiration date changed on moratorium conversion transactions, health system required to return charitable assets received from the state to the general fund, study required on regulation of transactions, report required, and money appropriated.
Vice Chair Bierman moved that HF402, First Engrossment, be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law.
Vice Chair Bierman moved the H0402DE202 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED AND THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Vice Chair Bierman presented his bill as amended.
1. Ericka Helling, RN, Fairview Southdale
2. Ben Baglio, Lobbyist, Minnesota Nurses Association
3. Justin Stofferahn, Antimonopoly Director, Minnesota Farmers Union
4. Anne Schwagerl, Vice President, Minnesota Farmers Union
5. Adam Berry, CEO, Summit Orthopedics
6. Colin Whitmore, Medical Student, University of Minnesota
7. Josie O'Donnell, Medical Student, University of Minnesota
8. Danny Ackert, Director of State Government Relations, Minnesota Hospital Association
9. Mathew Bergeron, Counsel, Minnesota Hospital Association
10. Brad Lehto, Secretary-Treasurer, Minnesota AFL-CIO
11. Laurie Curtis, Senior Vice President and Administrator, Minnesota Medical Group Management Association
12. Eric Immler, Psychiatric Associate, SEIU Healthcare Minnesota and Iowa
Erin Conti, Assistant Attorney General and Joe Harney, House Fiscal Analyst, responded to member questions.
Vice Chair Bierman renewed his motion that HF402, First Engrossment, as amended, be re-referred to the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1771 (Bierman) Medical assistance and insurance coverage of psychiatric collaborative care model provided.
Vice Chair Bierman moved that HF1771 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Health Finance and Policy Committee bill.
Vice Chair Bierman presented his bill.
1. Dr Tyler Winkelman, Physician, Hennepin Healthcare
Elisabeth Klarqvist, House Research Analyst and Sarah Sunderman, House Research Analyst responded to member questions.
Chair Liebling laid over HF1771 for possible inclusion in the Committee bill.
HF1279 (Edelson) FIRST ENGROSSMENT State required to pay medical examination costs for criminal sexual conduct victim, and money appropriated.
Chair Liebling moved that HF1279, First Engrossment, be laid over for possible inclusion in the Health Finance and Policy Committee bill.
Representative Edelson presented her bill.
1. Jude Foster, Medical Forensic and Prevention Programs Director, Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Chair Liebling laid over HF1279, First Engrossment, for possible inclusion in the Committee bill.
At 12:24 P.M. Chair Liebling recessed the Committee until approximately 6:30 P.M.
Chair Liebling reconvened the Committee at 6:30 P.M.
Minnesota Department of Health Revised Budget
Brooke Cunningham, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) gave an overview of the Department’s revised budget recommendations.
HF2930 (Liebling) Department of Health entities funding provided; methods to reduce health care organization, group purchaser, and low-value care spending identified; advisory councils, committees, and grant programs established; lead testing and service line requirements modified; COVID-19 programs established; and money appropriated.
Chair Liebling moved that HF2930 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Health Finance and Policy Committee bill.
Chair Liebling presented her bill.
Chair Liebling explained the H2930A1-1 amendment for information purposes only.
1. Alison Zellmer, Director of Emergency Programs, Ampact
2. Suzanne Wheeler, President, Minnesota ME/CFS Alliance
3. Patty Bowler, Director of Policy and Healthy Communities, Local Public Health Association
4. Billy Hanlon, Director of Advocacy and Outreach, Minnesota ME/CFS Alliance
5. Twila Brase, President, Citizens' Council for Health Freedom
6. Mary Krinkie, Vice President of Government Relations, Minnesota Hospital Association
Diane Rydrich, Director, Health Policy Division, MDH and Margaret Kelly, Deputy Commissioner, MDH responded to member questions.
Chair Liebling laid over HF2930 for possible inclusion in the Committee bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 P.M.
Representative Tina Liebling, Chair
Krysta Niedernhöfer, Committee Legislative Assistant