STATE OF MINNESOTA NINTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
HIGHER EDUCATION FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair of the Higher Education Finance and Policy Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:30 AM on February 16, 2023, in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
PELOWSKI, Gene, Chair
WOLGAMOTT, Dan, Vice Chair
O’NEILL, Marion, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Wolgamott moved that the minutes from February 14, 2023 be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Coulter moved that the minutes from February 7, 2023 be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 381 (Kozlowski) Increase Teachers of Color Act in higher education strengthened, pilot scholarship program for aspiring teachers of color made permanent, special revenue fund account established, teacher shortage loan repayment program provisions modified, and money appropriated.
Representative Kozlowski presented an informational hearing on HF 381.
• Jessica Davis, Racial Equity Instructional Coach, St. Louis Park Public Schools
• Katya Zepeda, Legislative and Policy Director, Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs
• Laura Mogelson, Legislative Liaison, Minnesota Association of Colleges of Teacher Education
• Nekey Oliver, Director of Grants and Government Relations, Office of Higher Education
Chair Pelowski moved that HF 355 be re-referred to the committee of Health Finance and Policy.
HF 355 (Bahner) Minnesota Higher Education Facilities Authority restructured and renamed as the Minnesota Health and Education Facilities Authority, authority authorized to construct and finance health care facilities, and bonding capacity increased.
Representative Bahner presented HF 355.
• Barry Fick, Executive Director, Minnesota Higher Education Facilities Authority
Chair Pelowski renewed the motion that HF 355 be re-referred to the committee on Health Finance and Policy. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 750 (Keeler) Minnesota's Tribal colleges grant funding provided, report required, and money appropriated.
Representative Keeler and Representative O’Neill co-presented an informational hearing on HF 750.
• Helen Zaikina-Montgomery, President, Leech Lake Tribal College
• Dan King, President, Red Lake Nation College
HF 687 (Klevorn) Inclusive Higher Education Technical Assistance Center and inclusive higher education grant established, reports required, and money appropriated.
Representative Klevorn presented an informational hearing on HF 687.
• Brian Valentini, Assistant Professor of Special Education, St. Cloud State University
• Gage Robinson, Prospective College Student and Advocate, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
• Mary Hauff, Parent Advocate, Minnesota Inclusive Higher Education Consortium
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 PM.
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair
Alayna Smieja, Committee Legislative Assistant