STATE OF MINNESOTA FOURTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
HIGHER EDUCATION FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair of the Higher Education Finance and Policy Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:30 AM on March 14, 2023, in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
PELOWSKI, Gene, Chair
WOLGAMOTT, Dan, Vice Chair
O’NEILL, Marion, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Wolgamott moved that the minutes from March 9, 2023 be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 2613 (Lislegard) Permanent university fund for mineral research modified.
Chair Pelowski moved that HF 2613 be referred to the General Register.
Representative Davids moved the H2613A1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Lislegard presented HF 2613 as amended.
• Lynne Williams, Chief Marketing and Public Relations Officer, University of Minnesota Duluth and Morris
• Roy Smith, Director of Education and Talent Development, Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board
Chair Pelowski renewed the motion that HF 2613 as amended be referred to the General Register. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 1340 (Wolgamott) Allied health technician scholarship program established, report required, and money appropriated.
Chair Pelowski brought HF 1340 before the committee.
Representative Wolgamott presented HF 1340 on an informational basis.
• Heather Faucher, Director of Respiratory Therapy, CentraCare St. Cloud Hospital
• Rebecca Lamberty, Chief Administrative Officer, Winona Health
• Chris Zeigler, Senior Director ASC Operations, Twin Cities Orthopedics
• Danny Ackert, Lobbyist, Minnesota Hospital Association
The committee concluded discussion on HF 1340 and the bill was kept in possession of the committee.
HF 467 (Noor) Income tax subtraction provided for grants, emergency assistance for postsecondary students program funding provided, and money appropriated.
Chair Pelowski brought HF 467 before the committee.
Representative Noor moved the H0467DE1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Noor presented HF 467 on an informational basis.
• Nekey Oliver, Grants and Government Relations Manager, Office of Higher Education
• Maya Sullivan, Dean of Students, Metropolitan State University
• Jarred VanHorn, Student, Dakota County Technical College
• Sia Sakradandhe, Government and Legislative Affairs State Coordinator for the Undergraduate Student Government, University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus
The committee concluded discussion on HF 467 and the bill was kept in possession of the committee.
HF 1339 (Koegel) Hennepin County Medical Center addiction medicine graduate medical education fellowship program funding provided, and money appropriated.
Chair Pelowski brought HF 1339 before the committee.
Chair Pelowski moved the H1339A1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Koegel presented HF 1339 on an informational basis.
• Sheila Specker, Addiction Psychiatrist and Program Director of Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Minnesota
• Gavin Bart, Director of Division of Addiction Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare
The committee concluded discussion on HF 1339 and the bill was kept in possession of the committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:58 AM.
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair
Alayna Smieja, Committee Legislative Assistant