STATE OF MINNESOTA EIGHTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
HIGHER EDUCATION FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair of the Higher Education Finance and Policy Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:30 AM on March 28, 2023, in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
PELOWSKI, Gene, Chair
WOLGAMOTT, Dan, Vice Chair
O’NEILL, Marion, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
HF 2073 (Pelowski) Office of Higher Education, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, University of Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic funding and policy related changes provided; scholarship and student aid programs created and modified; direct admissions program created; reports required; and money appropriated.
Chair Pelowski brought HF 2073 before the committee.
Minnesota House Research and Fiscal staff provided an overview and informational walkthrough of HF 2073 and the H2073DE2 amendment.
Testifying on HF 2073 as proposed to be amended:
• Dennis Olson, Commissioner, Office of Higher Education
• Myron Frans, Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations, University of Minnesota
• Jenna Chernega, President, Inter Faculty Organization
• Mark Grant, Chair, Minnesota State College Faculty
• Marwah Asif, Student, St. Cloud State University, Students United
• Paul Spies, Legislative Action Team Lead, Coalition to Increase Teachers of Color and American Indian Teachers in Minnesota
• Linda Sloan, Executive Director, Council for Minnesotans of African Heritage
• Andrew Morris, Public Affairs and Legislative Liaison, Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans
• Katya Zepeda, Legislative and Policy Director, Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs
• Danny Ackert, Lobbyist, Minnesota Hospital Association
• Edward Reynoso, Director of Political and Legislative Affairs, Teamsters Local 320
• Jennifer Erwin, First Vice President, AFSCME Council 5 Local 4001
• Mary Hauff, Parent and Advocate, Minnesota Inclusive Higher Education Consortium
• Paul Cerkvenik, President, Minnesota Private College Council and the Minnesota Private College Fund
• Karina Villeda, Student, LeadMN
• Devinder Malhotra, Chancellor, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
The committee concluded discussion on HF 2073 and the bill was kept in possession of the committee.
Representative Wolgamott moved that the minutes from March 23, 2023 be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:51 AM.
Representative Gene Pelowski, Chair
Alayna Smieja, Committee Legislative Assistant