STATE OF MINNESOTA
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
EDUCATION FINANCE COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair of the Education Finance Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:34 AM on February 1, 2023, in Room 120 of the Capitol Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistance noted the roll.
CLARDY, Mary Frances
PEREZ-VEGA María Isa
A quorum was present.
Representative Clardy moved that the January 31st, 2023, minutes, with corrections, be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 22 (Her) English learner programming funding increased, English learner cross subsidy aid added, and money appropriated.
Representative Pryor moved HF 22 before the committee.
Representative Her presented HF 22.
• Dr. Joe Gothrad, Superintendent, St. Paul Public Schools
• Zena Stenvik, Superintendent, Colombia Heights
• Eugina Popa, National Board Certified ESL Teacher, Harding High School
• Abbas Fahim, Student, Harding High School
• Tara Bounkeovisane, University of Minnesota
• Jeff Elstad, Superintendent, School District 761
• Irma Marquez Trapero, Executive Director, LatinoLead
• Paula Cole, Educators for Excellence
Chair Youakim laid HF 22 over for consideration in the Education Finance omnibus bill.
HF 8 (Berg) Student personnel aid established and money appropriated.
Representative Pryor moved HF 8 before the committee.
Representative Pryor moved the A1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDEMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Berg presented HF 8 as amended.
• Nicole Woodward, Director of Special Education, St. Croix River Education District
• Keela Kuhlers, Vice-President- Elementary, MSCA Government Relation Committee
• Emily Goodhue, School Social Worker, Hmong International Academy
• Lilah Heiny, Student, Roseville Publish Schools,
• Tara Cliff, President, School Nurses Organization of Minnesota
• Daniel Knewtiz, Legislative Committee Chair, Minnesota School Psychologist Association
Chair Youakim laid HF 21 as amended over for consideration in the Education Finance omnibus bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:59 AM.
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair
Shamat Abraha, Committee Legislative Assistant