STATE OF MINNESOTA
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
EDUCATION FINANCE COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair of the Education Finance Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:33 AM on February 15, 2023, in Room 120 of the Capitol Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistance noted the roll.
YOUAKIM, Chery, Chair
CLARDY, Mary Frances, Vice Chair
KRESHA, Ron, Minority Lead
PEREZ-VEGA María Isa
A quorum was present.
Representative Pursell moved that the February 14, 2023, minutes, from the Joint meeting of Higher Education Finance and Policy Committee and Education Finance Committee, be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 439 (Norris) General education basic formula allowance increased by five percent per year for fiscal years 2024 and 2025, future formula increases linked to the rate of inflation, and money appropriated.
Representative Hill moved HF 439 before the committee.
Representative Norris presented HF 439.
• Tina Burkholder, Director of Business Services, Monticello Public Schools
• Cathy Nathan, Advocacy Commissioner, Minnesota PTA and School Board Chair, Rochester Public Schools and Minnesota School Boards Association
• Dr. Kent Pekel, Superintendent, Rochester Public Schools
• Bob Indihar, Executive Director, Minnesota Rural Education Association
• Jeff Holmberg, Centennial Superintendent
• Kristi Peterson, School Board Chair, Shakopee Public Schools
• Valerie Holthus, Anoka Hennepin Education Association
Chair Youakim moved that HF 439 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill.
HF 694(Acomb) Minnesota math corps funding increased, and money appropriated.
Representative Edelson moved HF 694 before the committee.
Representative Acomb presented HF 694.
• Dr. David Parker, VP of Research and Development, ServeMinnesota
• Monica Wedin, Math Corps Internal Coach, Lake Ripley Elementary School, Litchfield
Chair Youakim moved that HF 694 be laid over for consideration in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill.
HF 806 (Youakim) Building Assets, Reducing Risks Center funding provided, and money appropriated.
Vice Chair Clardy assumed the gavel.
Chair Youakim moved HF 806 before the committee.
Chair Youakim presented HF 806.
• Angela Jerabek, Founder and Executive Director, BARR Center
• Stephen Gorde, Principal, Lake Elmo Elementary School, Stillwater Area Public Schools
• Lisa Boland Blake, Instructional Coach and BARR Co-Coordinator, Lake Elmo Elementary School, Stillwater Area Public Schools
• Jason Harris, Principal, St. Cloud Technical High School, St. Cloud Area School District
• Nyapal Jiech, Student, St. Cloud Technical High School
Vice Chair Clardy moved that HF 806 be laid over for future consideration in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:04 PM.
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair
Shamat Abraha, Committee Legislative Assistant