STATE OF MINNESOTA
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
EDUCATION FINANCE COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair of the Education Finance Committee, called the meeting to order at 10:31 AM on March 7, 2023, in Room 120 of the Capitol Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistance noted the roll.
YOUAKIM, Cheryl, Chair
CLARDY, Mary Frances, Vice Chair
KRESHA, Ron, Minority Lead
PEREZ-VEGA, María Isa
A quorum was present.
Representative Jordan moved that the minutes from March 3, 2023, be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 423 (Lislegard) School facilities construction supplemental aid funding provided, and money appropriated.
Chair Youakim moved HF 423 before the committee.
Rep Lislegard presented HF 423.
• Dr. Noel Schmidt, Superintendent, Rock Ridge Schools
• Ann Oelke, Elementary Principal, Ely Public Schools
Chair Youakim moved that HF 423 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
Vice Chair Clardy assumed the gavel.
HF 620 (Youakim) Paraprofessional paid orientation required.
Chair Youakim moved HF 620 before the committee.
Chair Youakim presented HF 620.
• William Schwandt, Program Management Aide, Polar Bridge Elementary Schools, Bloomington Public Schools
Vice Chair Clardy moved that HF 620 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
Chair Youakim re-assumed the gavel.
HF 1348 (Tabke) Employee health insurance provided, minimum started salary for nonlicensed school personnel increased, paid orientation and professional development for paraprofessionals provided, and money appropriated.
Representative Pryor moved HF 1348 before the committee.
Representative Pryor moved the A5 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Tabke presented HF 1348 as amended.
• Dave Kamper, Senior State policy Coordinator, Economic Policy Institute
• Annie Gibson, Paraprofessional, South Washington County Public Schools
• Sara Rapp, Cook, Hastings High School
• Caroline Long, Special Education Teacher, Minneapolis Public Schools, Robbinsdale School Board Members
• MaryAnn Thomas, Director of Human Resources, Farmington Area Schools
• Tim Caskey, Executive Director of Human Resources, Independent School 728
• Mary Burroughs, SPHR, Executive Director of Human Resources, Bloomington Public Schools
• Scott McMahon, Lobbyist, Minnesota School Bus Operators Association
Chair Youakim moved that HF 1348, as amended, be laid over for possible inclusion in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
HF 336 (Kozlowski) Duluth; Independent School District No. 709 special education revenue adjusted, base adjustment created, supplemental special education aid authorized, and money appropriated.
Representative Pryor moved HF 336 before the committee.
Representative Kozlowski presented HF 336.
• John Magas, Superintendent, Duluth Public Schools
Chair Youakim moved that HF 1348 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Education Finance Committee omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:58 AM.
Representative Cheryl Youakim, Chair
Shamat Abraha, Committee Legislative Assistant