STATE OF MINNESOTA
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE THIRD MEETING
EDUCATION POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Laurie Pryor, Chair of the Committee on Education Policy, called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM on January 11, 2023 in Room 120 of the Capitol.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
PRYOR, Laurie, Chair
HILL, Josiah, Vice Chair
BENNETT, Peggy, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Berg moved to approve the minutes from January 10, 2023. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF5 (Jordan); Free school lunch and breakfast provided for students, and money appropriated.
Representative Berg moved that HF5 be referred to the Committee on Education Finance.
Representative Jordan presented HF5.
The following testified on HF5:
• Colleen Moriarty, Executive Director, Hunger Solutions Minnesota
• Will, Youth, Appetite for Change
• Amber Lightfeather, Parent, Duluth
• Kara Gloe, School Board Member, Moorhead
• Lori Smith, Food Service Worker, St. Cloud
• Mandi Jun, School Teacher, St. Paul
• Adosh Unni, Director of Government Relations, Minnesota Department of Education
Rep. Knudsen moved the H0005A1 amendment. THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL.
Representative Berg renewed the motion that HF5 be referred to the Committee on Education Finance. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF44 (Feist); School districts required to provide access to menstrual products for students, operating capital aid increased to fund school district purchases of menstrual products, and money appropriated.
Representative Feist moved that HF44 be referred to the Committee on Education Finance.
Representative Feist presented HF44.
The following testified on HF44:
• Elif, Junior, Hopkins High School
• Evelyn and Tori, Students, Eagan High School
• Kathleen Mahli RN, Licensed School Nurse, E-STEM Middle School
• Maarit, Student, Mankato
• Trinity, Student, Carleton College
• Karlyn D’Averill RN, Licensed School Nurse, District 287
• Thomas Stinson RN, Licensed School Nurse, Harding High School
Rep. Urdahl moved the H0044A1 amendment. THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL.
Representative Feist renewed the motion that HF44 be referred to the Committee on Education Finance. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:32 pm.
__________________________________________ Representative Laurie Pryor, Chair
_________________________________________ Isabel Anderson, Committee Legislative Assistant