STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTIETH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-FIRST SESSION
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES FINANCE DIVISION
Representative Liebling, Chair of the Division, called the meeting to order at 12:49 P.M. on March 21, 2019 in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
LIEBLING, Tina, Chair
MANN, Alice, Vice-Chair
SCHOMACKER, Joe, Lead Republican
A quorum was present
Representative Bierman moved that the minutes of March 20, 2019 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF2184 (Liebling) Health and human services budget established; various provisions governing services, treatment, mental health, assisted living, and opioids modified; penalties modified; rulemaking provided; and money appropriated.
Chair Liebling moved that HF 2184 be heard and laid over for possible inclusion in the Health and Human Service Finance Division bill.
Presentations on HF 2184:
1. Tony Lourey, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS)
2. Jan Malcolm, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
Testifiers on Mental Health:
1. Sue Abderholden, Executive Director, National Association of Mental Illness-MN
2. Jinny Palen, Minnesota Association of Community Mental Health Programs
3. Rod Peterson, Dodge County Commissioner
4. Linnea Mirsch, Director, Public Health and Human Services, St. Louis County
5. Jennifer Gozy, Associate Director of Compliance and Quality Improvement, Washburn Center for Children
6. Stephanie Comby, Senior Director, Children’s Mental Health, St. David’s Center
7. Dominic McQuerry, Public Policy Manager, Wilder Foundation
Testifiers on MFIP/Housing:
1. Jessica Webster, Staff Attorney, Legal Aid
2. Senta Leff, Executive Director, Minnesota Coalition on Homeless
3. Fatima Moore, Director of Public Policy, Minnesota Coalition on Homeless
4. Juliana Keen, Advocacy Manager, Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota
5. Linnea Mirsch, Director, Public Health and Human Services, St. Louis County
6. Bharti Wahi, Executive Director, Children’s Defense Fund – Minnesota
7. Anne Krisnik, Joint Religious Legislative Coalition
Direct Care and Treatment:
1. Eric Hesse, Security Councilor Lead at the St. Peter Sex Offender Program/Executive Board Member of AFSCME Council 5/Vice President of AFSCME Local 404. (MSOP)
2. Laura Sayles, Government Affairs Specialist, Minnesota Nurses Association
3. Rod Peterson, Dodge County Commissioner (Association of Minnesota Counties)
1. Anne Krisnik, Joint Religious Legislative Coalition
2. Elizabeth Bangert, Owner, Here We Grow Child Care
3. Jessica Webster, Staff Attorney, Legal Aid
4. Bharti Wahi, Executive Director, Children’s Defense Fund – Minnesota
5. Cyndi Cunningham, Cyndi's Daycare
6. Dominic McQuerry, Public Policy Manager, Wilder Foundation
1. Linnea Mirsch, Director, Public Health and Human Services, St. Louis County
1. Patsy Gibson, SEIU Healthcare Minnesota.
Long-Term Care/Vulnerable Adults:
1. Debbi Harris, Board member, The Arc Minnesota
2. Sean Burke, Public Policy Director, Minnesota Elder Justice Center
3. Toby Pearson, Care Providers of Minnesota
4. Kari Thurlow, LeadingAge Minnesota.
5. Juliana Keen, Advocacy Manager, Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota
6. Phil Griffin, Elim Care
7. Sara Grafstrom, Advocate, ARRM
8. Joe Cuoc, Vice President, Supportive Living Solutions
9. Susie Emmet, Chief Advocacy Office, MN CCD
Durable Medical Equipment:
1. Stephanie B. Combey, Director, Children's Mental Health, St. David's Center for Child and Family Development
2. Al Neumann, President, Midwest Association for Medical Equipment Services (MAMES)
3. Sarah Anderson, MAMES Board member
4. Bill Amberg, Attorney, MAMES
Health Care Sections:
1. Jessica Webster, Staff Attorney, Legal Aid
2. Mary Krinkie, Government Relations, Minnesota Hospital Association
3. Laura Sayles, Government Affairs Specialist, Minnesota Nurses Association
4. Rod Peterson, Dodge County Commissioner
5. Dr. Aletia Borrud, Land Stewardship Project
6. Eric Dick, Manager of State Legislative Affairs, MMA
Minnesota Department of Health:
1. Amanda Jansen, Senior Public Affairs Manager, ClearWay Minnesota
2. Bharti Wahi, Executive Director, Children’s Defense Fund – Minnesota
3. Brook LaFloe, Voices and Choices for Children
4. Dr. Jean Lee, Children’s Hope International
At 2:12 P.M. Chair Liebling recessed the committee until the call of the Chair.
The committee reconvened at 5:47 P.M.
Responding to member questions regarding HF 2184:
1. Dave Greeman, Budget Director, DHS
2. Cody Wiberg, Executive Director, Minnesota Board of Pharmacy
3. Heidi Hamilton, Legislative Director, Disability, Senior Services, DHS
Chair Liebling laid over HF 2184 for possible inclusion in the Division bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:13 P.M.
Representative Tina Liebling, Chair
Krysta Niedernhöfer, Committee Legislative Assistant