STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTY-SECOND MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division
Representative Dave Pinto, Chair of the Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division, called the virtual meeting to order at 8:30 AM on March 1, 2022 pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was conducted over Zoom and broadcast via House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll. Members Present:
PINTO, Dave, Chair PRYOR, Laurie, Vice Chair FRANSON, Mary, Minority Lead BENNETT, Peggy
BOLDON, Liz DANIELS, Brian DAVNIE, Jim DEMUTH, Lisa JURGENS, Tony
KOTYZA-WITTHUHN, Carlie MORRISON, Kelly WAZLAWIK, Ami WOLGAMOTT, Dan
A quorum was present.
Vice-Chair Pryor moved the minutes for the committee meeting on February 24, 2022 be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF3544 (Kotyza-Witthuhn); Reach Out and Read Minnesota program grant funding provided, and money appropriated.
Rep. Kotyza-Witthuhn moved HF3544 be laid over for possible inclusion in a Committee
The following testified on HF3544:
• Kris Hoplin, Executive Director, Reach Out and Read Minnesota
• Dr. Gigi Chawla, Chief of General Pediatrics at Children’s Minnesota, Reach Out and
Read Minnesota Medical Director
Chair Pinto laid HF3544 over for possible inclusion in a Committee Omnibus bill
Vice-Chair Pryor moved HF3591 to be laid over for possible inclusion in a Committee Omnibus bill.
Vice-Chair Pryor moved Amendment H3591A1. THE MOTION PREVAILED, THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED
HF3591 (Howard); Family, friend, and neighbor caregivers grant program funding provided, and money appropriated.
The following testified on HF3591:
• The Honorable Michael Howard, State Representative
• Ruth Evangelista, Director, La Red Latina de Education Temprana (Richfield)
• Faviola Martinez de Estrada, Director, La Red Latina de Education Temprana (Richfield)
• Beth Ann Dodds, Project Coordinator, Indigenous Visioning
• Jennyffer Barrientos, Director, Growing Up Healthy, Healthy Community Initiative (Rice
• Martha Higuera, Birth-3 Early Childhood Special Education Teacher, St Paul Public
The following presented on the Family, Friend, and Neighbor Caregivers Grant Program:
• Cindi Yang, Director, Child Care Services, Minnesota Department of Human Services
Chair Pinto laid HF3591, as amended, over for possible inclusion in a Committee Omnibus bill. HF3484 (Pryor); Making permanent the temporary priorities for basic sliding fee child care. Vice Chair Pryor moved HF3484 be laid over for possible inclusion in a Committee Omnibus
The following presented on HF3484
• Yekaterina (Kate) Probert Fagundes, Carver County Resident, Representing Minnesota
Association of County Social Service Administrators (MACSSA)
• Clare Sanford, Vice President of Government and Community Relations, Government
Relations Chair, Minnesota Child Care Association (MCCA)
Chair Pinto laid HF3484 over for possible inclusion in a Committee Omnibus bill. The meeting adjourned at 9:58am.
Representative Dave Pinto, Chair
Hans Dosland, Committee Legislative Assistant