STATE OF MINNESOTA SIXTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Mariani, Chair of the Committee on Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 1:01 PM on February 18th, 2021 pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
MARIANI, Carlos (Chair)
FRAZIER, Cedrick (Vice Chair)
JOHNSON, Brian (Minority Lead)
A quorum was present.
Vice Chair Frazier moved that the minutes of February 16th, 2021 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Chair Mariani moved that HF 707 be referred to the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law.
Suzanne Elwell, Crime Victim Justice Unit Director of the Office of Justice Programs Safety, presented an overview of the Office of Justice Programs involvement with HF 707.
Chair Mariani moved the H0707A2 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Moller presented HF 707, as amended, a bill for an act relating to public safety; modifying and clarifying criminal sexual conduct provisions; creating a new crime of sexual extortion; amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, sections 609.341, subdivisions 7, 14, 15, by adding subdivisions; 609.342; 609.343; 609.344; 609.345; 609.3451; 609.3455; proposing coding for new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 609.
Testifying on HF 707:
• Lindsay J. Brice, Steering Committee Member, Criminal Sexual Conduct Statutory Reform Working Group (CSCSRWG)
• Katie Marie Kelly, Citizen Advocate
• KiloMarie Granda: CSCSRWG Steering Committee Member, Unspoken Voices
• Rebecca St. George: City Attorney for City of Duluth, CSCSRWG Steering Committee Member
• Kaarin Long, Advocates for Human Rights, CSCSRWG Steering Committee Member
• Christina Warren, Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, CSCSRWG Steering Committee Member
• Patty Wetterling, Chair, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
• Stacy Bettison, Attorney, Bettison Public Relations Firm
• Eric Janus, Law Professor, Mitchell Hamline School of Law
• Lindsay L. Siolka, Supervising Attorney, Person Felony Unit of Public Defenders Office
• Luis E. Rangel Morales, Attorney, Neighborhood Justice Center, Inc.
Chair Mariani renewed the motion that HF 707, as amended, be referred to the Committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law.
Chair Mariani requested a roll call on HF 707.
There being 14 ayes, 0 nays, and 5 abstains, THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting adjourned at 2:36 PM.
Representative Mariani, Chair
Katelynn Ogunfolami, Committee Legislative Assistant