STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTY- FOURTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Mariani, Chair of the Committee on Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 1:00 PM on April 7th, 2021 pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
MARIANI, Carlos (Chair)
FRAZIER, Cedrick (Vice Chair)
JOHNSON, Brian (Minority Lead)
A quorum was present.
Vice Chair Frazier moved that the minutes of April 6th, 2021 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Chair Mariani moved that HF 1078 be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Testifying on HF 1078:
• Paul Schnell, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Corrections
• John Harrington, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Public Safety
• Nate Reitz, Executive Director, Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission
• Erik Misselt, Executive Director, Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training Board
• Rich Neumeister, Citizen Activist
• Chris Weiland, Co-Chair, Restore the Fourth Minnesota
• Patrick Hynes, Minnesota Newspaper Association
• Gary Charwood, Committee Chair, Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee
• Ed Dankbar, HAZMAT & Emergency Response Officer, Canadian Pacific Railway
• John F. Apitz, Executive Director, Minnesota Regional Railroads Association
• Carli Stark, Public Safety Policy Analyst, Association of Minnesota Counties.
• Tami Jo Lieberg, Legislative Co-Chair, Minnesota Association of Community Corrections Act Counties.
• Jim Schneider, President, Minnesota Association of County Probation Officers
• Toshira Galloway, Families Supporting Families Against Police Violence
• Jaylani Hussein, Executive Director, Council of American Islamic Relations
• Theo Rose, Legislative and Policy Director, Minnesota Council of African Heritage
• Ethan Roberts, Director of Government Affairs, Jewish Community Relations Council of Minnesota
• Lindsay Brice, Law and Policy Director, Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault
• Paul Meunier, Executive Director, Youth Intervention Program Association
• Elliot Butay, Criminal Justice Coordinator, National Alliance on Mental Illness
• Jay Claire, Advocate, Twin Cities Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee
• Matt Ehling, Board Member, Minnesota Coalition on Government Information
Chair Mariani moved that HF 1078 be laid over future consideration.
The meeting adjourned at 2:41 PM.
Representative Mariani, Chair
Katelynn Ogunfolami, Committee Legislative Assistant