STATE OF MINNESOTA FORTY-EIGHTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Mariani, Chair of the Committee on Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 1:00 PM on March 3rd, 2022, pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
MARIANI, Carlos (Chair)
FRAZIER, Cedrick (Vice Chair)
JOHNSON, Brian (Minority Lead)
A quorum was present.
Representative Frazier moved that the minutes of March 1st, 2022, be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Becker-Finn presented HF 3055, a bill for an act
relating to public safety; establishing a reward fund for information on missing
and murdered Indigenous relatives; appropriating money; proposing coding for
new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 299A.
Chair Mariani called forward HF 3055 for possible inclusion in this committee’s omnibus bill.
Testifying on HF 3055:
• Family of Sheila St. Claire - Testimony read by Rene Ann Goodrich.
• Rene Ann Goodrich, Native Lives Matter Coalition.
• Sharon M. Day, Executive Director, Indigenous Peoples Task Force.
• Alicia Kozlowski, Community Relations Officer, City of Duluth.
• Chief Mike Tusken, Duluth Police Department.
Chair Mariani moved to layover HF 3055 for possible inclusion in this committee’s omnibus bill.
Representative Richardson introduced HF 2849, a bill for an act
relating to public safety; creating an office for missing and murdered Black women
and girls; requiring a report; appropriating money; proposing coding for new law
in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 299A.
Chair Mariani called forward HF 2849 up for possible inclusion in this committee’s omnibus bill.
Testifying on HF 2849:
• Peter Hayden, CEO of Turning Point and Family Advocate for MMBWG, Father of Taylor Hayden.
• Lakeisha Lee, CEO of Fly Economics and Family Advocate for MMBWG, Sister of Brittany Clardy.
• Artika Roller, Executive Director, Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
• Suwana Kirkland, National Vice Chair, The National Black Police Association.
• Aaisha Abdullahi, Young Women’s Cabinet.
Chair Mariani moved to refer HF 2849 to the committee on Judiciary Finance and Civil Law.
Chair Mariani requested a vote:
There being 18 ayes, 0 nays, and 1 absent, THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Hollins gave an informational presentation on HF 3856, A bill for an act
relating to public safety; presuming departure from the Sentencing Guidelines for
certain offenders who have been the victim of domestic abuse, sexual assault, or
sex trafficking; providing for resentencing for certain offenders who have been
the victim of domestic abuse, sexual assault, or sex trafficking; proposing coding
for new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 609.
Testifying on HF 3856:
• Katie Kramer, Violence Free Minnesota.
• Kendra Saathoff, University of Minnesota Clemency Clinic.
• Sam Heiges, Clemency grantee.
• Nicole Matthews, MN Indian Women’s Sexual Assault Coalition.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:35
Representative Mariani, Chair
Abdullahi Abdullahi, Committee Legislative Assistant