STATE OF MINNESOTA FIFTY-SIXTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Mariani, Chair of the Committee on Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 1:00 PM on March 24th, 2022, pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
MARIANI, Carlos (Chair)
FRAZIER, Cedrick (Vice Chair)
JOHNSON, Brian (Minority Lead)
A quorum was present.
Representative Edelson moved that the minutes of March 22nd, 2022, be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Frazier introduced HF 4200, a bill for an act
relating to public safety; establishing a public safety innovation board; providing
for community safety grants; providing for law enforcement grants and policy;
requiring reports; appropriating money; amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, sections
214.10, subdivision 10; 626.843, by adding a subdivision; 626.8473, subdivision
3; 626.89, subdivision 17; Laws 2021, First Special Session chapter 11, article 1,
section 15, subdivision 3; proposing coding for new law in Minnesota Statutes,
Representative Frazier moved to refer HF 4200 to the committee on Ways and Means.
Representative Frazier moved HF 4200 DE2 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED
Testifying on HF 4200 as amended:
• Ben Johnson, House Research.
• Drew Evans, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Department of Public Safety.
• Kate Weeks, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Public Safety.
• Jeff Lunde, Hennepin County Commissioner.
• Tracy Hinz, Director of Rehabilitative Services, Central Minnesota Mental Health Center.
• Miki Lewis, Executive Director, Truce Center.
• Joel Franklin, Director at Community Ambassadors Initiative.
• Justin Terrell, Executive Director, Minnesota Justice Research Center.
• Molly Leutz, Chapter Leader of the Minnesota Chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
• Eileen Collard, volunteer with the Minnesota Chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
• Frank McCrary, Community Safety Specialist, Service Employees International Union
• Raeisha Willams, Guns Down Love Up.
• Tim Leslie, Dakota County Sheriff, Minnesota chief’s association, Minnesota sheriff association
• Jordan Haltaufderheid, Legislative coordinator, Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
Representative Frazier renewed his motion to refer HF 4200 as amended to the committee on Ways and Means.
Chair Mariani requested a roll call on HF 4200 as amended.
There being 11 ayes, and 8 nays, THE MOTION PREVAILED
The meeting adjourned at 2:47 PM
Representative Mariani, Chair
Abdullahi Abdullahi, Committee Legislative Assistant