STATE OF MINNESOTA FIFTY-NINTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Mariani, Chair of the Committee on Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 1:00 PM on March 31st, 2022, pursuant to House Rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
MARIANI, Carlos (Chair)
FRAZIER, Cedrick (Vice Chair)
JOHNSON, Brian (Minority Lead)
A quorum was present.
Representative Hollins moved that the minutes of March 29th, 2022, be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The Wilder Foundation gave an information presentation on the Wilder external review of the state’s response to the May-June 2020 unrest.
• Anna Granias, Research Scientist, Wilder Research.
• John Harrington, Commissioner, Department of Public Safety.
Representative Moran gave an information presentation on HF 4609, a bill for an act
relating to corrections; providing for a supervision standards committee; modifying
probation, supervised release, and community corrections; providing for
rulemaking; requiring a report; appropriating money; amending Minnesota Statutes
2020, sections 243.05, subdivision 1; 244.05, subdivision 3; 244.19, subdivisions
1, 5; 244.195, subdivision 1, by adding subdivisions; 244.20; 244.21; 401.01;
401.02; 401.04; 401.09; 401.10; 401.11; 401.12; 401.14, subdivisions 1, 3; 401.15,
subdivision 2; 401.16; Minnesota Statutes 2021 Supplement, section 401.06;
repealing Minnesota Statutes 2020, sections 244.19, subdivisions 6, 7, 8; 244.22;
244.24; 244.30; 401.025.
Testifying on HF 4609:
• Representative Moran, District 65A, Minnesota House of Representatives.
• Catherine Johnson, Minnesota Association of Community Corrections Act Counties President, Director of Hennepin County Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation.
• Allen Godfrey, Director of Field Services for the Department of Corrections.
• Jason Anderson, Minnesota Association of County Probation officers President, Director of Itasca County Probation.
• Kelly Mitchell, Robina Institute of Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, University of Minnesota.
• Devin Bruce, Minnesota Association of Professional Employees.
The meeting adjourned at 2:44
Representative Mariani, Chair
Abdullahi Abdullahi, Committee Legislative Assistant