STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
CLIMATE AND ENERGY FINANCE AND POLICY MINUTES
Representative Larry Kraft, Vice-Chair of the Committee on Climate and Energy Finance and Policy, called the meeting to order at 3:01 PM on February 15, 2023 in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
ACOMB, Patty, Chair
KRAFT, Larry, Vice Chair
SWEDZINSKI, Chris, Republican Lead
Representative Carroll moved that the minutes from February 14, 2023 be approved. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 1656 (Acomb); Grant programs established to enhance competitiveness of Minnesota entities in obtaining federal money for energy projects, account created, advisory task force established, report required, money transferred, and money appropriated.
Chair Acomb moved that HF 1656 be be re-referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Chair Acomb moved the DE1 Amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED; THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Chair Acomb moved an oral amendment to the DE1 Amendment, as below:
• Page 5, line 5.22, delete “2024” and insert “2023”
THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE ORAL AMENDMENT WAS INCORPORATED.
Chair Acomb presented HF 1656 as amended.
• Grace Arnold, Commissioner, Department of Commerce
• Michelle Gransee, Deputy Commissioner Energy Resources, Department of Commerce
Representative O’Neill moved that the bill be laid on the table.
Representative O’Neill requested a roll call vote.
There being 6 AYES, 8 NAYS, and 3 EXCUSED, THE MOTION DOES NOT PREVAIL.
• Darrick Moe, Chief Executive Officer, Minnesota Rural Electric Association (MREA)
• John Twiest, Chief Executive Officer, Arrowhead Electric Cooperative
• Gregg Mast, Executive Director, Clean Energy Economy Minnesota (CEEM)
• Anjali Bains, Lead Director for Energy Access and Equity, Fresh Energy
• John Thorson, Legislative Director, Laborer’s International Union of North America (LiUNA) Minnesota and North Dakota
• Daniel Lightfoot, Intergovernmental Relations Representative, League of Minnesota Cities
• Kent Sulem, Director of Government Relations and Senior Council, Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association (MMUA)
• Chris Duffrin, President, Center for Energy and Environment
• Zach Martin, Manager of Government Affairs for Minnesota Power/ALLETE, Inc.
• Brendan Jordan, Vice President of Transportation and Fuels, Great Plains Institute
Chair Acomb renewed the motion that HF 1656 as amended be re-referred to the Committee on Ways and Means. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 AM.
Representative Patty Acomb, Chair
Chelsea Ray, Committee Legislative Assistant