STATE OF MINNESOTA NINTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
COMMERCE FINANCE AND POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Stephenson, Chair of the Commerce Finance and Policy Committee, called the meeting to order at 1:00PM on February 8, 2023 in Room 10 of the State Office Building. It was broadcast via House Public Information Services.
STEPHENSON, Zack, Chair
KOTYZA-WITTHUHN, Carlie, Vice-Chair
O’DRISCOLL, Tim, GOP Lead
NEU BRINDLEY, Anne
A quorum was present.
Representative Kotyza-Witthuhn moved approval of the minutes from February 6, 2023. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF96 (Long); Transitional cost-sharing reduction, premium subsidy, small employer public option, and transitional health care credit established; MinnesotaCare eligibility expanded; premium scale modified; and alternative delivery and payment system recommendations required.
Representative Stephenson moved that HF96 be recommended to be referred to the Health Finance and Policy Committee.
Representative Long presented HF96.
The following testified on HF96:
• Dr. Jennifer Schultz
• Angela Bowles Edwards, East Metro Regional Outreach Manager, Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation
• Jeremy Messersmith
• Jennifer Jacquot DeVries, Healthcare Organizing Committee Member, Land Stewardship Project
• Anne Schwagerl, Vice President, Minnesota Farmers Union
• Danny Lundell, Farmer
• Lourdes Quintero, Unidos Minnesota
• Charlie Baker, Unidos Minnesota
• Tavona Johnson, Homecare Worker, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare
• Dr. Katherine Guthrie, Family Medicine Specialist, ISAIAH
• Leota Goodney, ISAIAH
• Bentley Graves, Director of Health Care and Transportation Policy, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
• John Reynolds, Minnesota State Director, National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB)
• Dan Endreson, Senior Director of Policy and Government Affairs, Minnesota Council of Health Plans
• Peter Nelson, Senior Policy Fellow, Center for the American Experiment
• Chris Schneeman, Co-Chair of the Legislative Committee, Minnesota Association of Health Underwriters (MAHU)
• Mary Krinke, Vice President of Government Relations, Minnesota Hospital Association
Representative Stephenson renewed the motion that HF96 be recommended to be referred to the Health Finance and Policy Committee. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1243 (Brand); Student loan advocate established, and report required.
Representative Stephenson moved that HF1243 be laid over for possible inclusion in a Commerce Finance and Policy omnibus bill.
Representative Brand presented HF1243.
The following testified on HF1243:
• David Rondestvedt, Special Education Teacher, Armstrong High School
Representative Stephenson renewed the motion that HF1243 be laid over for possible inclusion in a Commerce Finance and Policy omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:26 PM.
Representative Zack Stephenson, Chair
Jack Dockendorf, Committee Legislative Assistant