STATE OF MINNESOTA FIRST JOINT MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
HOUSE ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES
POLICY AND FINANCE COMMITTEE & SENATE ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE, AND LEGACY COMMITTEE
Joint Hearing on Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Efforts in Minnesota
Representative Hansen, Chair of the House Environment and Natural Resources Finance and Policy Committee, called the meeting of the joint committees to order at 3:31 P.M. on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
House Members Present:
HANSEN, Rick (Chair)
JORDAN, Sydney (Vice Chair)
HEINTZEMAN, Josh (GOP Lead)
Senate Members Present:
HAWJ, Foung (Chair)
MCEWEN, Jennifer (Vice-Chair)
EICHORN, Justin (GOP Lead)
A quorum was present.
Emerald Ash Borer overview from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
• Mark Abrahamson, Entomologist, Minnesota Department of Agriculture
• Valerie McClannahan, Urban and Community Forestry Coordinator, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
• Dave Benke, Director of Resource Management and Assistance, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
Presentation from Minnesota Shade Tree Advisory Committee and League of Minnesota Cities.
• Karen Zumach, President, Minnesota Shade Tree Advisory Committee
• Craig Johnson, Intergovernmental Relations Representative, League of Minnesota Cities
Emerald Ash Borer research presentation from the University of Minnesota MN Invasive Terrestrial Plans and Pests Center.
• Robert Venette, Director and Adjunct Associate Professor, USDA Forest Service & Minnesota Invasive Terrestrial Plants and Pests Center
Presentation on wood waste and biomass energy challenges and opportunities
• Ken Smith, President and CEO, St. Paul District Energy
• Rick Evans, Director of Regional Government Affairs, Xcel Energy
• Al Krug, Vice President of State Regulatory Policy, Xcel Energy
Representative Hansen adjourned the meeting at 4:39 P.M.
Representative Rick Hansen, Chair
Samuel O’Neill, Committee Legislative Assistant