STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
EDUCATION POLICY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Laurie Pryor, Chair of the Committee on Education Policy, called the meeting to order at 3:05 PM on February 15, 2023 in Room 120 of the Capitol.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
PRYOR, Laurie, Chair
HILL, Josiah, Vice Chair
BENNETT, Peggy, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Youakim moved to approve the minutes from February 14, 2023. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1547 (Feist); Compensatory revenue modified, revenue uses changed, best practices encouraged, percentage of compensatory revenue that must stay at each school site increased, report on eliminating paper forms required, and money appropriated.
Representative Feist moved that HF1547 be re-referred to the Committee on Education Finance.
Representative Feist presented HF1547.
The following gave public testimony on HF1547:
• Matt Shaver, Policy Director, EdAllies
• Sarah Burt, Lobbyist, Education Minnesota
• Scott Croonquist, Executive Director, Association of Metro School Districts
Representative Feist renewed the motion that HF1547 be re-referred to the Committee on Education Finance. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1224 (Hill); Education; tiered licensure changes made.
Vice Chair Hill moved that HF1224 be re-referred to the Committee on Education Finance.
Vice Chair Hill moved the H1224A2 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Chair Pryor divided the H1224A1 amendment into two-parts, as follows:
• Part 1 (lines 1.2-1.4)
• Part 2 (lines 1.5-1.23)
Chair Pryor moved to adopt the second part of the H1223A1 amendment (lines 1.5-1.23). THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE DIVIDED AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Vice Chair Hill presented HF1224 as amended.
The following gave public testimony on HF1224 as amended:
• Dr. Sara Ford, Ed Issues Specialist, Education Minnesota
• Paul Peltier, Music teacher, Greater Minnesota; Member, Professional Educators Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB)
• Kristin L. Dehmer, Assistant Superintendent of Business and Administrative Services, Moorhead Area Public Schools
• Jamie Peterson, Service Industry Careers Teacher, Secondary Technical Education Program, Anoka-Hennepin School District
• Crystal Brakke, School Board Member of Richfield and Intermediate District #287; Chair, Association of Metropolitan School Districts
• Philip Adenodi, Social Studies Teacher, Patrick Henry High School, Minneapolis Public Schools
• Haben Ghebregerbish, Teacher, High School for Recording Arts
• Laura Mogelson, Director, Multiple Pathways to Teaching
Representative Bennett moved to table HF1224 as amended.
Representative Bennett requested a roll call.
The clerk noted the roll.
BENNETT Peggy (Republican Lead)
PRYOR, Laurie (Chair)
HILL, Josiah (Vice-Chair)
With a vote of 4 AYES, 8 NAYS, and 1 EXCUSED, THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL.
Vice Chair Hill renewed the motion that HF1224 as amended be re-referred to the Committee on Education Finance. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:38 pm.
Representative Laurie Pryor, Chair
Isabel Anderson, Committee Legislative Assistant