STATE OF MINNESOTA THIRTIETH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
TAXES COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Aisha Gomez, Chair of the Committee on Taxes, called the meeting to order at 9:00 AM on April 18, 2023 in Room 5 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
GOMEZ, Aisha, Chair
NORRIS, Matt, Vice Chair
DAVIDS, Greg, Minority Lead
A quorum was present.
Vice Chair Norris moved the minutes of April 17, 2023. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1938 (Gomez) Individual income and corporate franchise taxes, sales and use taxes, property taxes, local government aids, and other miscellaneous taxes and tax provisions modified; income tax additions, subtractions, and credits modified; taxes on capital gains modified; child tax credit proposed; advance on payment and one-time refundable tax credit proposed; cannabis-related sales and use tax provisions modified; sales tax exemption for entities proposed; eligibility for property tax programs modified; formula modified and definitions for calculation of local government aids added; new forms of local government aids proposed; and money appropriated.
Chair Gomez brought HF1938 and the A23-0111 amendment before the committee on an informational basis.
Testifying on HF1938, as proposed to be amended by the A23-0111 amendment:
• Paul Marquart, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Revenue
• Michael Fairbanks, Chairman, White Earth Nation
• Faron Jackson Sr., Chairman, Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
• Sam Strong, Tribal Secretary, Red Lake Nation
• Marion Greene, Commissioner, Hennepin County
• Katie Topinka, Director, Intergovernmental Relations, City of Minneapolis
• Nathan Jesson, Intergovernmental Relations Representative, League of Minnesota Cities
• Matt Hilgart, Director, Governmental Relations, Association of Minnesota Counties
• Patricial Nauman, Executive Director, Metro Cities
• Matt Massman, Executive Director, Minnesota Inter-County Association
• Jessica Webster, Staff Attorney, Legal Aid
• Anna Odegard, Director, Minnesota Asset Building Coalition
• Debra Fitzpatrick, Director of Policy and Research, Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota
• Ethan Vogel, Legislative Director, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Council 5
• Nan Madden, Director, Minnesota Budget Project
• Katherine Walker, Home Care Worker, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare Minnesota and Iowa Section 1
• Keith Franke, Executive Director, Protect Our Charities
• Sam Krueger, Executive Director, Electronic Gaming Group
• Rachel Jenner, Executive Director, Allied Charities of Minnesota
• John Wayne Barker, Executive Director, Merrick, Inc.
• Ray Kane, Department Service Officer, American Legion Department of Minnesota
• Allen Lund, Gambling Manager, Osseo Maple Grove American Legion Post 172
• Michael Dahl, Director of Public Policy, HOME Line
• Katy Schultz, Tax Training and Learning Manger, Prepare and Prosper
• Monica Maria Hurtado, Director of Policy, Voices for Racial Justice
• John Reynolds, State Director, National Federation of Independent Business
• Vanessa Bradby, Pastor, New Spirit United Church of Christ
• Beth Kadoun, Vice President, Tax and Fiscal Policy, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
• Gavin Hanson, Director of Fiscal and Economic Policy Director, Minnesota Business Partnership
• Martha Njolomole, Economist, Center of the American Experiment
• Ryan Hamilton, Government Relations Associate, Minnesota Catholic Conference
• Sheila Vanney, Assistant Director, Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts (MASWCD)
• Eric Harris Bernstein, Director, We Make Minnesota
• Lars Negstad, Director of Policy, ISAIAH
• Kirsten Morcomb, Teacher, Bloomington Public School District
• Ben Baglio, Government Relations Specialist, Minnesota Nurses Association
• John Thorson, Legislative Director, Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA) North Dakota and Minnesota
• Devin Bruce, Coordinator of Public Affairs, Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (MAPE)
• Stu Lourey, Government Relations Director, Minnesota Farmers Union
• Paul Eger, Senior Vice President of Governmental Affairs, Minnesota Association of Realtors
• Melvin Tennant, President and Chief Executive Officer, Meet Minneapolis
• Libby Murphy, Director of Policy, Minnesota Housing Partnership
• Rhonda Otteson, Executive Director, Minnesota Coalition for the Homeless
• Mary Jo George, Associate State Director of Advocacy, American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
• Mark Hughes
• Brett Keefe, Member, Kasson Post 333 American Legion
The meeting adjourned at 11:15 AM.
Representative Aisha-Gomez, Chair
Lauren Sabes, Committee Legislative Assistant