STATE OF MINNESOTA SEVENTEENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
TAXES COMMITTEE MINUTES
Representative Aisha Gomez, Chair of the Committee on Taxes, called the meeting to order at 1:06 PM on February 28, 2023 in Room 5 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
GOMEZ, Aisha, Chair
NORRIS, Matt, Vice Chair
DAVIDS, Greg, Minority Lead
A quorum was present.
Vice Chair Norris moved the minutes of February 21, 2023. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF1938 (Gomez) Individual income and corporate franchise taxes, sales and use taxes, property taxes, local government aids, and other miscellaneous taxes and tax provisions modified; income tax additions, subtractions, and credits modified; taxes on capital gains modified; child tax credit proposed; advance on payment and one-time refundable tax credit proposed; cannabis-related sales and use tax provisions modified; sales tax exemption for entities proposed; eligibility for property tax programs modified; formula modified and definitions for calculation of local government aids added; new forms of local government aids proposed; and money appropriated.
Chair Gomez moved that HF1938 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Taxes Omnibus bill.
Chair Gomez moved the A23-0027 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPED.
Chair Gomez presented HF1938, as amended.
Presentation from the Minnesota Department of Revenue on HF1938, as amended.
Testifying on HF1938, as amended:
• Paul Marquart, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Revenue
• Brad Lehto, Secretary-Treasurer, Minnesota American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
• Phillip Cryan, Executive Vice President, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare Minnesota
• Jessica Webster, Staff Attorney, Legal Aid
• Debra Fitzpatrick, Policy and Research Director, Children’s Defense Fund-Minnesota
• Nathan Jesson, Intergovernmental Relations Representative, League of Minnesota Cities
• Nan Madden, Director, Minnesota Budget Project
• Matt Massman, Executive Director, Minnesota Inter-County Association
• Mark Haveman, Executive Director, Minnesota Center for Fiscal Excellence
• Kelly Wilson, President, Education Minnesota-Osseo
• Asad Zaman, Executive Director, Muslim American Society of Minnesota
• Beth Kadoun, Vice President, Tax and Fiscal Policy, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
• Aurora Vautrin, Legislative and Political Director, 100% Campaign
• Ethan Vogel, Legislative Director, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Council 5
• Ben Baglio, Government Relations Specialist, Minnesota Nurses Association
• Matt Hilgart, Government Relations Manager, Association of Minnesota Counties
Vice Chair Norris renewed the motion that HF1938 be laid over for possible inclusion in the Taxes Omnibus bill. The bill was laid over.
The meeting adjourned at 2:30 PM.
Representative Aisha-Gomez, Chair
Lauren Sabes, Committee Legislative Assistant