Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Legislative News and Views - Rep. Mary Franson (R)

Back to profile

Legislative Update from Rep. Mary Franson

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Dear Friends,

I hope everyone is safe after the terrible storms that came through our community last weekend. Below is some information that I hope will be helpful as you survey your storm damage.

I have heard from many of you asking about a sales tax exemption for tree cutting after a severe storm. Minnesota currently does not provide a tax exemption. If the legislature comes back for a special session, this is possibly something we could take up. If not, the earliest we could pass a sales tax exemption is next year. Save your receipts just in case this issue is taken up.

Disaster Recovery Loans 

A decision made late Monday by the Dept of Ag’s Rural Finance Authority Board means MN Disaster Recovery Loans are now available for farmers hit by the May storms. These funds can be used to help cover lost revenue or expenses not covered by insurance. The funds can be used to help clean up, repair, or replace farm structures and replace livestock.

Eligible farmers must have received at least 50% of their annual gross income from farming for the past three years. Farmers can work through their bank to secure the RFA loans.

If a home or business has received significant damages from a natural disaster it should be reported to the local county or city emergency management office for possible assistance as soon as possible. All disasters are different and the needs of victims and communities all recovering from the same event can vary greatly. Homeowners programs may apply in this case, but not all programs are available for all events. These programs are not designed as a replacement for proper insurance coverage.

Tips on Filing Insurance Claims

The Minnesota Department of Commerce, which provides consumers with protections and enforces insurance laws for the State of Minnesota, offers Minnesotans guidance on steps to take when filing an insurance claim after storms damage their home, business or other property from yesterday severe storms. You can find more information at the Minnesota Department of Commerce Disaster Information Center and see a few helpful tips below:

Key tips for filing insurance claims to your property:

  1. Contact your insurance company immediately.
  2. Wait for the company’s adjuster before you or anyone starts working to remove or repair or replace property.
  3. Inventory your damage.
  4. Take notes of who you talk with and what they say from your insurance company, adjusters or repair services. Note dates, names and contact information.
  5. Avoid scammers or high-pressure sales tactics if you are contacted by someone you don’t know, such as salespeople going door-to-door in areas hit by storms. 

Question or complaint about your insurance company?

If you have questions, complaints or problems with your insurance company, contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Services Center: 

By phone: 651-539-1600 or 800-657-3602

By email:

You can 

submit complaint online

 or call Commerce’s Consumer Services Center.