Students from Bergerac, France on an exchange trip with Buffalo High School visit the Capitol. My daughter, Olivia, did an exchange with Bergerac in her senior year at Buffalo High School. My sincere thanks to Camille Gourdis for hosting Olivia when she visited.
Here is an update from the Capitol.
Last Thursday, House Republicans released their budget targets and adjustments, which committees will use as a guideline to craft supplemental omnibus bills. Our focus remains on what Minnesotans want most—school safety, tax relief, and improving our transportation infrastructure.
Some highlights include:
- $107 million for federal tax conformity, simplifying our state tax code and providing more tax relief to hardworking Minnesota taxpayers
- $101 million to fix our roads and bridges
- $30 million for education, helping with school safety and student mental health programming
- -$7 million for state government to reduce spending through efficiencies
- $10 million for Health and Human Services to prevent a 7 percent cut to those who care for Minnesota’s disabled community through the Disability Waiver Rate System
State government is fully funded through the biennium, and our supplemental proposal is focused on tax relief and issues that are priorities for Minnesota citizens.
Ignition Interlock Bill
In previous updates, I’ve discussed my legislation that will strengthen drunk driving laws by requiring ignition interlock for a second DWI offense within ten years or third in a lifetime. If an offender does not own or lease a vehicle, they are exempted from the program, but to drive legally, they must drive a vehicle that has the ignition interlock system.
I think this is an important bill, and there is bipartisan support for it as it moves through the legislative process. You can read more about my bill in a recent Minnesota Lawyer article here.
As always, if you need assistance on an issue pertaining to state government or have concerns or ideas about legislation, my office is available to you. You can e-mail at Rep.Marion.ONeill@House.MN or call my office at 651-296-5063. You can also write a letter to me. My office address at the Capitol is 549 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, St. Paul, MN 55155.