Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Legislative News and Views - Rep. Brian Daniels (R)

Back to profile


Wednesday, September 28, 2016

FARIBAULT – State Rep. Brian Daniels, R-Faribault, issued the following statement regarding Gov. Mark Dayton's executive order issued Tuesday, declaring a peacetime emergency for 23 counties, including all counties included in District 24B – Dodge, Rice and Steele.

“The initial response from local officials and citizens has been impressive,” Daniels said. “It has truly been a display of us coming together to help one another during a tough time. I am pleased to see the governor has issued this peacetime emergency order to help us expedite the recovery process by making state resources available to coordinate efforts on the ground.”

According to the emergency executive order, The Department of Public Safety, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management "will continue coordinating the provision of on-site support and assistance to affected local governments, and determine the need for supplementary emergency assistance." The full order can be found here:

Officials will continue working to determine overall damage totals and whether certain recovery efforts qualify for state and federal disaster relief assistance. A state disaster contingency fund was established in recent years to provide aid without a special session having to take place.

“It is good this tool is available to help initial efforts,” Daniels said. “The disaster contingency fund allows for a more efficient response from the state as work continues to fully assess the damage.”

State disaster contingency funds kick in when public infrastructure damage within a county reaches 50 percent of a predetermined amount based on a formula that accounts for the population of the county. Once the damage level reaches or exceeds 50 percent of the counties’ individual damage threshold, then 75 percent of eligible costs for public infrastructure repairs and clean-up may be reimbursed by the state, with local units of government picking up the remaining 25 percent.