STATE OF MINNESOTA FIFTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-THIRD SESSION
ELECTIONS FINANCE AND POLICY MEETING MINUTES
Representative Mike Freiberg, Chair of the Committee on Elections Finance and Policy, called the meeting to order at 8:30am on February 1, 2023, in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
FREIBERG, Mike, Chair
GREENMAN, Emma, Vice Chair
TORKELSON, Paul, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Pursell moved that the minutes from January 25, 2023, be adopted. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 204 (Bahner); a bill for an act relating to elections; allowing voter electronic signatures for purposes of electronic rosters; amending Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 201.225, subdivisions 2, 4, 5.
Representative Bahner moved that HF 204 be placed on the General Register.
Representative Bahner moved the HF0204DE1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED, THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Representative Bahner presented HF 204, as amended.
Testifying on HF 204:
• Kirk Peterson, Hennepin County
• Nicole Conlin, Elections Administrator, Hennepin County
• Max Halperin, Election Judge
Representative Bahner renewed her motion that HF 204, as amended, be placed on the General Register. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 799 (Agbaje); a bill for an act relating to elections; allowing persons to be absent from work to vote in person before election day; amending Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 204C.04, subdivision 1.
Representative Agbaje moved that HF 799 be placed on the General Register.
Representative Agbaje presented HF799.
Testifying on HF 477:
• Beth Gendler, Executive Director, Jewish Community Action
• Sarah Lopez, Director of Public Policy, UNIDOS MN
• Farah Habad, Organizer, New Justice Project
• Julie Strada, Minnesota Secretary of State
Representative Agbaje renewed her motion that HF 799, be placed on the General Register. THE MOTION PREVAILED.
HF 642 (Freiberg); a bill for an act relating to elections; enacting the Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote; amending Minnesota Statutes 2022, section 208.05; proposing coding for new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 208.
Representative Freiberg passed the gavel to Representative Stephenson at 9:17 am
Representative Freiberg moved that HF 642 be placed on the General Register.
Representative Freiberg presented HF 642.
Testifying on HF 642:
• Patrick Rosenstiel, Senior Consultant, National Popular Vote
• Steve Simon, Secretary of State, Minnesota
• David Fisher, Clean Elections Minnesota
• Manilan Houle, Member, Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
• Cindy Holker, Member, League of Women Voters
• Chris Pearson, former State Senator, Vermont
• Jeanne Masey, FairVote Minnesota
• Sean Parnell, People for Opportunity
• Mark Bonwhorst, Resident, Minneapolis
Representative Torkelson made a motion to table HF 642.
Representative Quam requested a division call on the motion to table HF 642.
There being 5 Ayes and 7 Nayes, THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL.
Representative Freiberg renewed his motion that HF 642 be placed on the General Register.
Representative Torkelson requested a roll call on the motion to place HF 642 be placed on the General Register.
There being 8 ayes and 5 nays, THE MOTION PREVAILED.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:09 AM.
Representative Mike Freiberg, Chair
Mike Hermanson, Committee Legislative Assistant