Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Legislative News and Views - Rep. Josh Heintzeman (R)

Back to profile

Legislative Update (8-26-15)

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dear Neighbors,

News broke late last week that Crow Wing County will be receiving emergency state assistance to help recover from last month’s severe weather.

Early estimates put the cost of last month’s damage at $1.3 million. In total, the state is expected to cover approximately 75 percent of the costs with the county responsible for the other 25 percent.

I am thankful that Crow Wing County will receive these much needed funds as we continue to clean up from last month’s storms. In addition to aiding in clean-up efforts, these funds will work to ensure that homeowners will not see their property taxes increase next year to cover damages and costs to the county sustained from the storm.

Local citizens, businesses, and organizations deserve recognition for their hard work and efforts in helping clean up from the storm’s devastation. Thanks again for all you have done for our communities!

Protecting Military Servicemen and Women

Late last month, I testified at an informational hearing of the Veterans Affairs Division regarding the safety and defense of Minnesota National Guard recruiting facilities and members. The hearing was called in response to the increasing number of attacks on military servicemen and women at military bases and recruiting centers around the nation.

At the hearing, I presented legislation that I have introduced that would allow active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard to conceal & carry personal firearms without first obtaining a permit in Minnesota. The same exemption is already in statute for peace officers.

The hearing was held as part of a larger discussion concerning the safety of servicemen and women stationed at military bases and recruitment centers around the country and what legislators can do to work with the National Guard to ensure their safety.

My legislation and the hearing are starting points, meant to serve as a catalyst for the larger discussion of finding ways to ensure the safety of our men and women in uniform. We live in a different world than the one many of us grew up in and we need to make sure we are meeting the day’s challenges head on.

House Capital Investment Committee Visits Cuyuna Recreation Area

The House Capital Investment Committee toured the Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area (CCSRA) earlier this month. Members of the committee, which is also commonly referred to as the “bonding” committee, were given a presentation highlighting plans for continued expansion of the CCSRA.

A top priority for the CCSRA is to provide for economic growth; tourism and the communities’ future around establishing the Cuyuna area as a national and international destination for mountain biking.

The Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area serves as a unique environmental and economic asset to our area. I am grateful that Chair Torkelson and the House Capital Investment Committee took time to visit the recreational area and hope that they will consider funding expansion plans to ensure that this area continues to serve our communities and the state for years to come.

Staying in Touch

Thanks for taking time to read this week’s update. Please feel free to contact my office by phone at 651-296-4929 or via email at to discuss any issues you may have during the interim. It would be an honor to speak with you and discuss ways we can make Minnesota better.